Thursday, April 14, 2011

Our Glorious Backyard

I have said it before and I will say it again, I seriously underestimated the greatness of our backyard gulley.  When we were looking a the house, I thought it was the opposite of an asset.  "Oh the kids won't be able to play games in a big flat yard..."  Uh, they have spent so many hours already, just checking out the menagerie that the little stream provides, I don't know why I was worried about them not being able to play yard games.  Being a child naturalist is far superior to any plans I had for them in a flat backyard. 

Right now I'm in the process of ordering them some field guide and orienteering books on Half.com and Amazon.  The learning ride never ends, and I'm so excited for them, for us, to start exploring more and more in our amazing back yard.

It's unreal how full of life that creek is!  This is one of the creatures the kids have discovered since we moved in.


Just watchin' "Squirtle".

Squirtle

Here we are hiking along the creek behind the neighborhood houses.  As I waded through I realized that it was a bit like Rainbow Valley.  Ahh, Anne of Green Gables... 






There's even a sand beach! ;)
I'm so excited for the kids in the summer time.  I bet it will be a veritable haven of delight for them. I just hope the bugs won't be too bad.  Tick check!

No comments:

Post a Comment