Saturday, February 18, 2012

Donuts!

So Owen said to me, "Mom, why can't we buy some donuts?"  Well, I had lots of reasons why we should not buy donuts, not the least of which is the how terribly unhealthy they are for you.  However, I couldn't pass up such a great opportunity to spend time with Owen, and try something new, as well as create tasty treats for all of us...even if it's terribly unhealthy.

We made the dough from scratch and waited all day for it to rise twice.  And I realized that we didn't have donut cutters and our circle cookie cutters were too big for the holes and too small for the donut, so we improvised.  The donuts did end up bigger than I wanted but that just meant happier kids.



Yeah, we kinda did use a shot glass to cut out the holes.


Owen used a tupperware to cut out the donuts.


I fried them in a quart of vegetable oil. 

They cooked up real fast.  And one should probably use something as a splatter guard when doing this...


Glazed without flash...

Oh wow, they were delicious!
I think we made about a dozen donuts and I guess about a dozen donut holes.  The recipe said it would make 24 donuts...

No comments:

Post a Comment