Monday, August 13, 2012

Baby's Birth, Part III

At my midwives suggestion, I labored on my side.  The baby was able to move down a bit.  We switched to my back (gasp!)  I never thought I'd labor in that position again, but we had to keep the baby close to me rather than hanging out in my belly.  Then, after the pain of the baby crushing my tailbone, I turned back to my side, I think.  When the urge to push came, I was on my side for sure.  I felt like I was moving a mountain.

Eventually, the midwives helped me move to the birthing stool.




My main thought was that it wasn't going fast enough.  It was never fast enough.  I tried pushing/laboring on my hands and knees, which had worked so well with Dylan and Zoey.  But at this point, why did I think that anything that had worked with their births would work here?  Nothing had gone the same way...

This isn't working.
Back on the birth stool, Robin grabs the doppler to check the baby's heart rate. 

Oh, how much longer?

It looks like I'm praying, but I'm not.  
Honestly, I wanted to try to crush something in my hands every time I felt a contraction.  In that position, I guess I could only crush my own hands.





Stacee and the girls watch on.

Push it out!

Jonathan dashes in to catch the baby.


It's a boy!


Olivia's a little teary.

Josie listens to the little guy's heart and lungs.





Listening to him with a stethoscope.

Smiling for the camera.

Getting a better listen.

And let's cover him up with a blanket.




Still panting from the exertion, feeling completely exhausted.
After a few minutes, the midwives literally lifted me onto the chaise, so I could deliver the placenta. 
This was almost as uncomfortable as laboring on my back.  I wanted to just cut the cord and sit up, but we were going to wait until the placenta was delivered before we cut it.  Oh, my poor bruised tail bone!    And, even after being moved over, I was still panting.  Everything was tender, and my muscles were numb.  I almost felt like I had had an epidural, because I felt like I had control over nothing.  Oh how weak I felt!
Umm, it still hurts.

Seriously, it still hurts.

Oh my gosh, when is it going to stop hurting?

Yes I am happy I have a baby.  But it still hurts.

Smiling for Christy.


Saveia greeting her new little brother.
The third stage of labor was vastly annoying.  I was very thankful to deliver the placenta, because waiting on it meant staying in an uncomfortable position.  Patty took a lot of pics of the amazing organ, but I will spare you those photos this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment